An SSL connection encrypts data that is passed between web servers and browsers. This article covers the options available to you in order to secure the connection between your site and the server it is hosted on.
Sites that are hosted under the smapply domains will not require an SSL certificate to be purchased. As we host this domain, our SSL certificate secures your connection without any action taken on your part. However, in the case that a custom or vanity URL is in use, our SSL certificate no longer covers you.
Sites will be covered under the SM Apply SSL certificate if they are hosted under the following domains:
When a custom or vanity URL is used instead of the smapply.io domain, a secure connection under our SSL certificate is not covered. In this case, an SSL certificate must be purchased from an SSL certificate provider and applied to our server.
WARNING! SSL certificates purchased without a CSR generated by SM Apply cannot be used.
To obtain an SSL certificate for your vanity URL:
- Contact your Implementation Specialist or the support team (email@example.com) and let us know that you will be purchasing an SSL certificate for your site. We will need some information from you in order to complete a CSR generation form for you. See CSR Requirements below.
- SM Apply will supply you with a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) to be sent to the SSL provider.
- You will be provided a certificate (preferably a .crt file type) from the SSL provider to pass back to us.
TIP! A .crt file is the preferred file type that will be sent back to us. If this is not an option, please note that the server type to generate the file for is "Other" or "Apache."
- SM Apply will apply the certificate and the SSL connection will be enabled.
NOTE: Applying an SSL certificate to a Vanity URL may take up to 30 days to complete. It is important to get this process started as soon as you can to get your connection secured before your site is launched.
In order to generate a CSR that can be used to purchase an SSL certificate we will require the following information from you:
- Domain to generate CSR for
- Country being issued to
- Company Name
- Company Department
- Email address of IT contact